Geriatric Doctors Near Me in Flushing, NY
What is Geriatric Medicine?
Geriatric medicine is a medical specialty that focuses on the healthcare of older adults. Geriatricians are doctors who specialize in geriatric medicine, and they are trained to diagnose and treat a wide range of medical conditions that are common in older adults, such as Alzheimer's disease, osteoporosis, and incontinence. Geriatricians also often serve as primary care doctors for older adults, providing ongoing care and coordinating their care with other medical specialists as needed. Geriatric medicine is a subspecialty of internal medicine and focuses on the unique healthcare needs of older adults.
What does a Geriatric Doctor do?
Some things Geriatric Doctors do include:
- Specialize in the healthcare of older adults
- Diagnose and treat a wide range of medical conditions that are common in older adults, such as Alzheimer's disease, osteoporosis, and incontinence
- Serve as a primary care doctor for older adults, providing ongoing care and coordinating their care with other medical specialists as needed
- Conduct physical exams to assess patients' overall health and check for any abnormalities or symptoms of disease
- Order and interpret laboratory tests and imaging studies to help diagnose medical conditions
- Prescribe medications and other treatments to manage and treat medical conditions
- Monitor patients' progress and adjusts treatments as needed
- Educate patients on how to maintain and improve their health, including providing advice on diet, exercise, and managing chronic conditions.
The specific duties of a Geriatric Medicine Doctor vary depending on the needs of their patients and the policies of the healthcare facility where they work. At Oak Street Health, our Geriatric Medicine Physicians in Flushing, NY develop preventive care plans to help you achieve your physical and mental health goals. Get the care you deserve. Schedule an in-person, phone, or video visit with a trusted Geriatric Medicine Doctor today.
What age should you see a Geriatric Doctor?
A geriatric doctor specializes in the healthcare needs of older adults. The specific age to start seeing a geriatric doctor may vary depending on individual circumstances. However, it is generally recommended to consider seeing a geriatric doctor if you are aged 65 years or older and experiencing age-related conditions, such as multiple chronic diseases, cognitive impairment, falls, or mobility issues. It is important to address any concerns or conditions that may impact your health and well-being as you age, and a geriatric doctor can provide specialized care tailored to the unique needs of older adults.
What conditions do Geriatric Doctors treat?
Geriatric doctors, also known as geriatricians, are trained to address the unique healthcare needs of older adults. They provide specialized care and treatment for a variety of conditions commonly associated with aging. Some of the conditions geriatric doctors treat include:
- Chronic diseases: Geriatricians manage and provide comprehensive care for chronic conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, arthritis, osteoporosis, and others.
- Cognitive disorders: They diagnose, treat, and manage age-related cognitive disorders such as Alzheimer's disease, dementia, and mild cognitive impairment.
- Functional decline: Geriatric doctors address functional decline issues such as mobility limitations, balance problems, gait abnormalities, and falls.
- Polypharmacy: They manage medication-related issues, including the appropriate use of medications, reduction of unnecessary medication use, and monitoring for potential drug interactions and adverse effects.
- Mental health: Geriatricians may diagnose and manage mental health conditions, including depression, anxiety, and mood disorders.
- End-of-life care: They help older adults and their families navigate end-of-life care options, including discussions around advanced care planning, hospice care, and palliative care.
In addition to these conditions, geriatric doctors also focus on preventive care, managing age-related changes.
Does Medicare cover Geriatric Medicine?
Yes, Medicare covers geriatric medicine services. Geriatric medicine is a specialized branch of healthcare that focuses on the unique medical needs and conditions related to aging. Medicare, as a government insurance program primarily for individuals aged 65 and older, recognizes the importance of geriatric medicine and provides coverage for these services. Here are some key points regarding Medicare coverage for geriatric medicine:
- Medicare Part B: Medicare Part B covers medically necessary services provided by geriatric medicine doctors, including office visits, preventive care, screenings, diagnostic tests, and evaluations.
- Preventive services: Medicare covers several preventive services specific to older adults, such as the Welcome to Medicare visit, annual wellness visits, screenings for conditions like cancer, bone density testing, vaccinations, and counseling services.
- Chronic disease management: Medicare provides coverage for the management and treatment of chronic conditions commonly seen in older adults, including conditions like diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, arthritis, osteoporosis, and others.
- Comprehensive care planning: Medicare covers advanced care planning discussions and services, which are particularly relevant in geriatric medicine to address the complex healthcare decisions and needs of older adults.
It's important to note that Medicare coverage may involve deductibles, copayments, and coinsurance, depending on the specific type of Medicare plan you have (Original Medicare vs. Medicare Advantage) and the services received. It's advisable to review your Medicare plan and consult with your healthcare provider to understand the details of your coverage for geriatric medicine services.
How do I find a Geriatric Doctor in Flushing, NY?
Call (888) 812-1183 to find a Geriatric doctor in Flushing, NY and learn more about becoming a patient at Oak Street Health. You can also stop by your nearest center or fill out a become a patient form, and we'll be in touch.
Geriatric doctors in Flushing, NY
A geriatric doctor, or geriatrician, is a physician who specializes in the care of older adults. Geriatric medicine doctors focus on the unique needs of older adults, including the physical, mental, and social aspects of aging. Geriatric medicine doctors work to prevent or treat age-related health problems and promote healthy aging, and as we get older, our bodies need expert care. At Oak Street Health, our Geriatric Care Specialists in Flushing, NY and supporting care team develop preventive care plans to help you achieve your physical and mental health goals. Get the care you deserve. Schedule an in-person, phone, or video visit with a trusted Geriatric Medicine specialist today.